Child Born Outside the US

Child Born Outside the U.S.

In order to comply with U.S. immigration laws and regulations, a U.S. citizen must always enter and depart the U.S. with their U.S. passport.  A U.S. citizen child, who is born outside the U.S., must therefore apply for a U.S. passport at an American Embassy prior to his/her first visit to the U.S.  This application is generally filed concurrently with an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad,” since both applications require a personal interview.  The Report is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18, who was born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) and acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.

The Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form DS-2029) is submitted with the American Citizen Services Section of the American Embassy, along with proof of the U.S. citizen’s parents’ U.S. citizenship, proof of marriage, if applicable, proof of requisite physical presence in the U.S. and payment of the application fees.

The child, with his or her parents, must attend an interview at the American Embassy.

At the same interview in which the Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad is processed, the child’s parents may apply for issuance of a U.S. passport for the child.  The passport application (Form DS-11), photos, proof of U.S. citizenship and proof of identity must be submitted.  Additionally, if the child is under the age of 16 and only one parent can attend the interview, the absent parent must complete Form DS-3053 (Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16), with all required supporting documentation.  The application will be sent to the United States for processing and will be issued for a 5 year validity period.  The passport is returned by the Embassy’s appointed courier service, Secure DX, or by Royal Mail within approximately 15 days.

It generally takes 4-6 weeks to schedule an interview with American Citizen Services Section at the American Embassy, with longer delays occurring in the Spring in anticipation of the summer travel season. Advance planning is therefore extremely important.

Contact a London Lawyer to Learn More about Children Born outside the U.S.

Contact the U.S. immigration law firm of Hodkinson Law Group, based in London, via email or at 44 (0) 20 7299 2490 to learn more. Read about our U.S. immigration attorneys here.